Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It Finally Happened! And I am still Praising my God!!!!!

So, it finally happened. I got robbed big time today, on International Women's Day, in Rimac. I fought with the thief (he was around 16 -17 years old) for half a block and the most disgusting thing was that all the shop owners came out of their stores to watch and none of them helped me at all and I only lost to the thief when I fell cos my flip flops slid.  A cop car came by I hopped into it and they took me around and tried to find the guy but he was long gone. 


At the police station, it all hit me and I started shaking while filling out my information and the super sensitive cop looked at me and said, "what's the matter with you, can't you write properly?" I was like, "I am traumatized by what just happened to me and if you were even a little bit empathetic, you would understand or at least even get me some water!" "Oh water," he said and  I yelled after him, "bottled water!" and he went and got me bottled water. He was nice after that and then he wanted to know what zodiac sign I was yada yada yada and why I was not married yet  and so I told him I don't believ in zodiac signs and if he wants to he can  pray for me to get married. We actually had a fun time talking after that. Anyways he got me to look at the mug shots in the system and that's a lot of use to me, the person who can't even recognize people who go to my church's faces! But what hit me most was that each face I saw on the screen cried out that they did not know Jesus. They were all lost and hopeless and futureles and I realized that I may have lost my stuff today and my bible which my mom gave me so long ago but I have eternal life and I have a future and a hope.


Then another smart cop came in and tried to take me to the tourist police station. By this time I was waiting for my friend to come and get me as his was the only number  I was able to call since he had an office line and I could look that up through information. My contact list went with my cell phone too. So I told the smart cop that I was not going anywhere until my friend got there and I told him I am not a tourist, I am a resident with a Carnet de Extranjeria (which also went with my purse) and he was like, but the bottom line is you're a Canadian and we only deal with Peruvians. I was like, ok, then call me a foreigner and not a tourist because I am not a tourist and as I understand it, the tourist cop shop is specifically for tourists. Mr smart cop didn't like me too much. I was not going to just bow down and deal with his ignorance. He also had trouble listening. I had told him about 6 times because he kept asking, how long I have lived in Peru. Eevry time I said five, he said, three. Finally I spoke real slow in Spanish and said, "cinco. (held up my hand and counted, uno dos tres cuatro cinco). He said, "I understand the language". Well it didn't seem like it to me.


When my friend came they took us in a cop car (twice in a day I was in a cop car! whoo hoo what a treat!) to the other cop station. Sure enough, as soon as I said I have a Carnet de Extranjeria, the police officer over there said, "You're not a tourist!" I was like, "Bingo, tell that to Mr. Smart Cop" The police officer just shook his head. However he gave me an interim Carnet so I have Peruvian ID and all I need is to go and get that done at immigration. 


That was my day. This all happened in Rimac where I had just left one of the rehab centres I was helping. Isn't it ironic? I realized how much I had changed as a person when I hurt for the thief and when I started singing praise songs and praying in tongues in front of the first cop in the police station and telling him that all of this has a purpose. Nothing happens by chance and how sad it is that those guys in the mug shots don't know Jesus. And there was this calm and peace that filled me and I wasn't upset at all by all the things I had lost in my purse: my Carnet de Extranjeria, my English bible with all my study notes and revelation and cross reference notes that I had written inside, my cell phone that I had got from Canada, my mp4, my entire makeup bag, my day planner and some bills and receipts, my house keys, some small souvenirs from a friend. All gone. But honestly, God allowed the enemy to do this on a day when I actually had someone in my house who had a set of keys to my house so she was able to copy a set for me and wait for me to get home and open the door for me. Everything worked out. I will ask my mom to send me a similar bible like the one I had lost. 


I actually felt liberated today of all the things I had. My friend brought me water and a chocolate bar in a plastic bag and for the rest of the night, all I carried around was a plastic bag with water and my brush and hair cream (these two objects fell out of my purse). It felt liberating without a ginormous purse to carry around. And all this has done is given me a greater passion and desire to reach the street youth so that they will be transformed by God's love for them and they too will have eternal life and a future and a hope. 


What the enemy intended for evil, God turned around for good!!!!! My God is good and He reigns!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Adeline I cannot believe all of this has happened and you have turned it into praise rather than pity. You did not let the enemy get the best of you and your right... the fact that you are praising Him expresses a huge depth of growth. I enjoyed reading your blog, it was good for my soul too! 1 Thess 5:16 Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Michelle Marie

    ReplyDelete