Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Didn't Get To Say Goodbye

Kinda freaking out a little. Ok, maybe more than a little. I found out today that the foreign women at the jail that I counsel and teach got transferred to a new facility north of Lima. The opposite end of where we are. I did get to spend time with another inmate while I was at the "old" prison and she gave her life to the Lord and I'm just all over the moon on that. She's 62. Details on my FB status today. It's all good right?

Well, yes to the woman who gave her life to Jesus but the other part, not so good. Been doing research on the prison where they took the women to. A blog called Prisoners Abroad filled in missing gaps for me about what happened to the women. I got details from the other inmates at the old prison but half the time you never know if what you're hearing is the straight version or the slightly exaggerated one. Seems like I got the real version all round. The blog stated that the women were moved at 2am in the morning one day and some left with nothing as their clothes were still out on the line. Some lost their bags en route. It confirmed that the women have to fight for drinking water at the new facility. They're locked in their cells 24/7 and have no workshops to go to and nothing to do. I know, I know, it's a prison. They're not supposed to wander around free. But that's what they had before. They could attend workshops and learn as well as read and fill their time doing something useful that they can sell. They could encourage each other and pray for one another which was what the women I know were doing. And now, they're locked up in a cell all day long.

I know I have taught them hardcore faith. I have not held back from them nor patted them on the backs in the times when their emotions had gotten the better of them. I have drilled into their heads the need to know the bible just in case it ever gets taken away from them. Taught them they need to lean and stand on the Word as nothing before and to praise and worship and give thanks to the Lord even when everything around them is bleak and they don't feel like it. Taught them to see beyond the now and to know that this too shall pass and one day they will get out and that their lives have a purpose. Showed them that nothing is impossible with God and that He is bigger than the circumstances around them. I know that some of them were already training themselves. I am just concerned for one. And knowing that they have no contact with each other now means it's really a test like no other of their faith; to rely and depend only on God. Not their friends to pray with or encourage them, not their family, not their emotions, not anything that they knew before.

But even as I am concerned about one particular woman, I know her Father is more concerned and is holding her close. She has Him. And He will not leave her and He loves her more than anyone ever can. So with that, I will leave her in His hands, and know that He will take care of her. I have no idea if I will even see them again. We are trying to find out when visiting hours are there and if it's feasible for me to visit them even if it's once a month. But the consolation I get is that we will see each other in heaven even if I never see them here again.

 Bose, Birgitte and Rosana need your prayers in the new prison as well as Heila the one who became a Christian today. They need our prayers now more than ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment