Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Nitty Gritty

Working with street youth can be highly addictive. My team mate is like wanting to be out there 2X a week to follow up with those he has already met. I'm like, what? you want to go out again? He loves it as much as I love it. It's good to see. God definitely handpicked him and the others. 


Got a clearer picture tonight of certain relationship dynamics amongst the street youth. They all have their terokal pots, plastic bags and weapons concealed in their jackets. And just like what they taught me in the rehab centres, the guys do not ever want their drug companions to get off drugs. One of them, Carlos, definitely wants out but his other companion Oscar definitely does not want him out and keeps mocking him and throwing stuff back in his face when he says he wants to leave it all behind. Anderson, the 13 year old is definitely a character to contend with. He is a definite product of the streets. While I was talking to Carlos, the other two came around to ask him for the screwdriver he had in his pocket. They were going to go and break into cars. There was no way I could talk them out of it but I did talk to Carlos and told him I do not want to see him in prison one day because at 16, he has a future ahead of him. I basically gave him scenarios he did not want to think about, like what if the cops caught him and shot him while he was robbing? I was really creative with all my scenarios and I'm sure it made him think. The team met up with us while I was wrapping up with him and we prayed for him and he had tears in his eyes when we were done. I know he appreciated the hugs we each gave him as well. He will be my first interned residence in our centre when it starts. 


I am bone weary now. Been a hard and long day of travelling back and forth and doing non stop ministry but it has been incredibly rewarding. A 13 year old new resident at the other rehab centre me and Carolina help out at received Christ today. Been a good day. Please pray for Carlos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment