Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thank you.

There weren't many cops around and so the "choros" were in full swing. "Choro" is slang for thief. They always work in threes; two to hold the back doors of the buses open by pressing their weight against it, and one who runs through the bus looking for cell phones, electronic devices, money or anything of value to steal. When we first started hitting the streets, it was a regular thing to see people get robbed, beaten up, thrown onto the curb, etc. Then for about the last 6 months, we saw nothing. It was rather strange at first but then we realized it was because of the heightened presence of the cops on the street corners.  However, there were hardly any cops around last night and so it was a free for all. 


We saw HN first. Still semi intoxicated but not as much as before. He ran to get a friend to introduce him to us telling his friend that we were there to help. I appreciated that he knows we are there to help. Elizabeth talked to HN more and he told her how he almost died from alcohol poisoning once out on the streets and his brothers came to get him and took him to the hospital. He survived and ever since then he realized that God hasn't forgotten him and his family cares about him. But the addiction is powerful and the hold on him drew him back to the streets. He told Elizabeth that we are a reminder to him again that God hasn't forgotten him. And he wants to be better. Since he received the Lord a week ago, he has been cutting back on how much he drinks. We told him that Jesus can help him and the Word will transform how he thinks and we could get him to a rehab centre that will help him and also feed him the Word. He wasn't ready to commit to the rehab centre but he wanted to learn about Jesus. We agreed for me to meet him one afternoon to teach him. Luchin and I will look for him tomorrow afternoon.


We take them all at their word even though we know some are lying to us about wanting to change. We don't let on that we know they're lying. They think that by lying to us, we won't think less of them. They don't realize that we will keep loving them, because Jesus will keep loving them. Some do want to change really badly and we can see that in the desperation in their eyes as they hear hope. However, they have a hard time leaving the environment and the people they hang out with. For a lot of them, it's the only home they know and they have no where to go. For others, it's a fear of leaving the known for the unknown. We just walk with them, pray with them, teach them, counsel them and love them with the Truth until they are ready to go the next step. Then we walk with them step by step until they can walk on their own with Jesus.


Some of the women also indicate a desire to change. Their addiction is easy money and they have bought into the lie that they can't do anything else better to earn money. I loved how Carmen told two of the girls the truth so simply that they could not help but understand. She told them that every time they are with the men, they unite themselves with them and as they make themselves vulnerable before them to receive from them, they also receive whatever the men transmit to them  "spiritually" in whatever format (Carmen explained it way better than I) and KA looked about ready to die from cardiac arrest when she heard that. She was not there this week. I hope she's looking for and found a proper day job.


My challenge was "SY". "Stefany" and "CA" are transvestites. When we first started reaching out to the women, these two would look at us with pure hatred. The guys on our team are uncomfortable talking to them and try to avoid them and I did that at first as well. But, every time I walked past them, I would hear this voice saying, "Jesus died for them too. He hates what they do but He loves them" and so I would double back and go say hello to them. At first, they just ignored and hated me. Then, as I persisted in saying hi to them cheerily (yes, I can be annoying that way :D) and offering them sandwiches, they started returning my "hi's" with fake smiles. Eventually, they accepted the sandwiches. Then, one night we talked for a bit. And they asked if they went to my church, would they be accepted. I said yes because I knew that the team would and we would do all we could to make sure they felt comfortable. But I could not speak for other people. After that night, I didn't see them again. Until last night. "SY" and I talked and he told me that he can't get a day job because of how he looks and when I asked if he could not change how he looks in the day, he said this is who he is 24/7. He has no friends and his family doesn't want him. He lives alone in a rented room in which he spends his days. He works the streets at night. He asked me again last night if he would be accepted at the church I go to. I said I could only speak for myself and I would accept him but I couldn't speak for the other people. He nodded.


I don't agree with "SY's" lifestyle but I sense his pain and his deep loneliness. I know he chose to buy into the lie of the enemy telling him he is a woman when he is not but I also know that my Jesus will keep giving him opportunities to know Him and to know what real freedom is about when he knows the Truth that will set him free. I asked him a few personal questions and he answered them. The good thing is he has not had any surgical changes and I know he will be grateful for that when he gets to know Jesus. I told him I always tell the women that they can call me to meet for coffee and to chat and he said he would like that and smiled a genuine smile. I hope he calls because it really sucks feeling alone in this world.


We are still looking for a place to rent for a meeting place/drop in centre for them. Eventually, God willing, it will also become a street church which will be non traditional; a place where those we reach out to can come and know that they are accepted, loved and able to hear the Word of God in a way that they can understand. As with the "Stefanys" and Hermans out there, most of them will not be accepted into regular churches for the lifestyles that they lead. We hope to be able to bring church to them, in their setting, in a format that will penetrate through the fog and haze that clouds their minds through substance abuse.We have no idea when that will happen as of yet, just that it is a vision for the future. Your prayers and intercession for this project and also for all of those you read about are truly appreciated. Slight changes are taking place out there on the streets and they can only happen because of prayer.


So, from the bottom of our hearts, thank you for praying. Thank you for caring. 









No comments:

Post a Comment