Total Pageviews

Friday, April 20, 2012

A Seed Sprouts Roots

I think I'm dancing on cloud 9. Today was phenomenal. EM had agreed to meet me at 10:30am today for her first bible study. I had called her yesterday to confirm and when I got to the meeting point, she wasn't there. I waited 20 minutes then decided that I was going to leave. As I was about to cross the road, I saw her and her little boy on the other side crossing over to me. It felt so good. So good to know that she really wanted to know the Word. We went to the food court of a nearby mall so we could be in a relatively quiet place to do the study. 


We started off by her giving me a recap of what she understood from the first 3 books of the Gospel that she had read on her own. She understood a lot more than I give her credit for, a person who has never read the bible before and only went to the occasional mass. God really doesn't need us, His Holy Spirit is indeed the best teacher ever. We started today's lesson from the book of John, verse by verse. When we came to John 1:12, I had her read it out loud and then asked her according to what the verse says, who is she? She looked at me puzzled. Then re-read the verse and looked up at me and timidly said, "Daughter of God?" I asked her then who Jesus is. And she said, "Son of God" and I told her that she is co-heirs with Jesus and that she is a princess of the Kingdom of God. Her face lit up into the biggest smile when the Word became revelation in her heart and spirit. At this point, we were so intent on the Word and she was just absorbing it all that we didn't realize her little boy had wandered off. It wasn't until the security guard came over with him asking if he belonged to her that we realized we had lost her son for a moment. Oops. Thank God it was still early in the day and there wasn't anyone in the food court area.


The whole scene described above was a miracle. It was a miracle that God had been working on for a while, only that I couldn't see it in the natural. What I saw today is a result of what He had been doing in her heart all this time. As we wrapped up today's lesson, she said right aways, "I need to hear the Word more so we will meet again next Thursday?" As if I was going to say no. She told me how the other girls on the street laugh at her and mock her saying that she was a hypocrite for wanting to know the Word more and yet is still on the streets. I told her that the Word and the grace of God is what will give her the strength to leave the streets because it is what will transform her way of thinking and doing things. She really wants to leave the streets but she has no job, no way of earning money apart from how she knows because she has been doing that for so long. I told her we would help her look for a job to get her off the streets.


God has brought her this far. He is the author and finisher of our faith and He will complete what He has started in us. He loves her too much to leave her now so I trust and know that He will keep on working in His mysterious ways and will also provide a job for Elizabeth so she can get out of the streets. 


Please pray for her; to persevere in faith, for a job that will enable her to support her 2 little ones and her mother and the house they live in, for her to learn to believe the truths of the Word and not the lies of the enemy and for me and the team to have Godly wisdom and resources to be able to help her. 


I just feel so blessed to be able to witness this and thank you for walking with us on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment