Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 10, 2012

At The Cemetery

We went to LG's funeral yesterday afternoon, not being able to make the wake. I badly wanted to see her face. Such a rarity for me since I normally avoid as best as I can without offending the family of the dead looking at the dead person in his/her coffin at wakes. But this time, I really wanted to know if she faced death peacefully or was terrified. Not out of curiousity, but just to know if she had another opportunity to encounter Jesus even if it was in her unconscious state. SJ was the first person I saw at the funeral whom I knew. She was bawling her eyes out saying she needed to change. I took the opportunity to talk to her about change. 







 Most of them were drinking up a storm and partying.  EM was there but with her little girl and it didn't look like she was partying with the rest of them. So strange for me to be at a funeral and everyone drinking to get drunk. But then different cultures and social classes deal with death differently. I look at this and just make mental notes and observations of how to understand the girls and how to counsel them better. CC was there with her mom and sister and invited us to her restaurant. When I spoke to her last week, she couldn't find money she had taken out of the cash register and had sent her daughter to go looking for it. We prayed on the phone for the money to be found and I had forgotten all about that. She reminded me of it yesterday and said that right after we prayed the money was found on a table. Weird? No, just God. Saw CL too and she said she no longer works the streets but then it was rather difficult talking to her yesterday.


This is the first time I've been to a cemetery here in Peru and it's different. All of those cubicle like things in the photos contain a body. They're like long drawers and a body with or without a coffin depending on what the family of the deceased can afford gets put in there and then the opening is sealed with cement and words inscribed on it to identify the deceased, etc. 


All I know is that we need to keep going down to Ciudad for the girls and guys. Maybe we can't see too much change now but we will keep hitting the arrow on the ground and we're not going to stop at 3 strikes. We will keep hitting and hitting because you never know if the next hit will be the one that brings the harvest in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment